Monday, October 26, 2009

Ryleigh


I spent Saturday night in Las Vegas, relaxing at Joelle and Mike's outdoor table. The weather was breezy and slightly crisp, and we dined on grilled steak and veggies and sipped red wine. After dinner, Mike and I took it upon ourselves to purge Joelle's wallet. The monstrosity had grown too large to close. Joelle kept reiterating that her wallet was "just fine" and couldn't understand why we needed to help her organize her life. Or, quit fretting about something that wasn't that important, and frankly none of our business. It was then the phone rang.

Scot's brother's daughter (our niece) had passed away. Ryleigh is Keith's daughter. She was born 2 1/2 years ago, perfectly healthy apart from a small hole in her heart. She grew from an infant to a toddler, never needing surgery. Her growth kept pace with her peers, and she suffered no ill effects from her heart. It was only recently that doctors thought it prudent to perform the "routine" surgery. Better now than before it became a problem.

Three weeks ago, the surgery went off without a hitch. It was only when Ryleigh returned home that complications set in. A small cough led her parents back to the doctor. A stomach bug necessitated a visit last week. On Saturday, Ryleigh went into cardiac arrest, and left us.

Losing a parent is part of the price of living. Losing a spouse can happen. Losing a child is not expected. It is not normal. It is a slap in the face of everything we do daily (from wiping butts to crossing at crosswalks) to protect our angels. And it is a grief no parent can imagine.

I hung up the phone and glanced at Joelle and Mike's crestfallen faces. All three of us, parents, were devastated.

"Wallets don't matter, you guys, " Joelle said. "Wallets don't matter."

We love you Ryleigh. And we love your parents.


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't even know what to say. I cannot imagine what you, your family and especially Scot's brother and siste-in-law must be feeling. What an acute loss to suffer. My heart is with you.

Amy said...

Toni,
I am so sorry that your family is going thru this right now. What a tragedy to lose a precious angel of 2 years old. So innocent. Thank you for sharing this on your blog.....it puts life into perspective reading about little Ryleigh.

Anonymous said...

Wow! :( And here I was on my couch laughing my butt off about Joelle's George Costanza-like wallet, knowing EXACTLY what it must've looked like...
that's a shocker - prayers going out to your brother and sister-in law. So sad...

Happy Me said...

I am so sorry :-( Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

La Rivera said...

I'm a little behind, catching up on my reading... just want to say I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine the pain. Your family is in my thoughts tonight.