Friday, April 18, 2008

An old post for some, new for others ORANGE BLOSSOMS

The air is redolent with orange blossoms!

If you’ve never smelled an orange blossom, come to Phoenix in March. Please, really, it’s worth it. Quite simply, orange blossoms are the small white flowers on citrus trees. They bloom in March and drive allergy sufferers wild. You can’t help but breath deeply, knowing that later you’ll pay the price with crumpled snot rags strewn all over the house. The smell is indescribable. It’s not orangy, it’s not floral-like, it’s spring season and spring fever all rolled into one. It’s everything that is lush, tropical, and heady about the beach. I run daily and gulp the air, and am reminded of first love, suntan lotion, puppy dogs, and romance. I feel sexy, alive, and happy when I smell orange blossoms. I have no real emotional memory that is tied to this scent, but I do find it ironic that many of my Phoenix friends were married in March. Sure, it could be that spring offers perfect weather, but I can’t help but think that orange blossoms seem to be a lovely accompaniment to a garden wedding. I got married in June. It was 96 degrees. Plastering myself into the long sleeved gown I purchased in November was an oversight. A more serious problem (well, serious for a crazy bride) was that I couldn’t carry my flower of choice- orchids. Too damn hot, I was told. Those babies would wilt straight out the door. So I carried some forgettable flowers. Looking back, I should have gotten married in March. Carrying a small, simple bouquet of orange blossoms would have been just the right thing.

No comments: