Saturday, August 30, 2008

New babies fix everything, don't they?



When I get paranoid and worried, I tend to take on an "obsession du jour." It helps to take my mind off the dire matter at hand. Most of the time it's about acquiring something obsolete or rare. I scour eBay or Marshall's for hours in a vain attempt to find a Swedish pancake pan. My latest obsession is adopting another dog. My love for dogs is boundless and when I'm sad or hurting, they just make me feel so darn good. Nora Ephron put it best when she advised anyone with a teenager to get a dog. That way you'd always have someone who would be happy to see you when you got home.

Next week, Scot and I are going to Flagstaff for our 10th anniversary. We plan on hiking, hitting a couple of bars and coffee shops and eating some good food. Way back when, we planned on going to to St. John, USVI (where we honeymooned) but then we downgraded it to Mexico, then Cali. and now Flagstaff. W e're staying in Scot's brother's house in the sticks. Funny how life gets in the way of all your grand plans.

There is a dog that I hope to adopt while we are there. She is on the PawPlacement site in Flagstaff and I would love to bring her home. Never in a million years what I would have imagined this kind of anniversary. But I also never thought I'd have two kids and be looking for a second dog. If she becomes ours, we will name her Vera. I'm confident it's one acquisition I won't regret spending time and money on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just got bamboozled! How can a husband deny his love anything she covets in this way?

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. Some ladies get a chubby rock for their 10 year anniversary, honey. What do you think of that?

Jennifer said...

That dog looks awesome! She actually reminds me of my brothers dog, Maggie. The name "Vera" makes me think of the waitress in "Alice."