Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Maggie Monkey





Maggie turned 7 today.

Seven years ago last night, I interrupted Scot's National League Playoff game between the Braves and.... , well, it doesn't matter, to announce that my water broke. To which Scot replied "are you sure?" Same damn answer I got when I told him I was pregnant. Anywho, my worry-free life ended on that couch that evening. For that matter , none of the furniture, precious heirlooms or antiques have ever been the same.

Maggie arrived 30 days early. She was 5"15 and as bald as Mr. Clean. Her premature entry was the first sign that the kid would have major control issues. She still does things her way, when she wants to do them. She also made it known that she would eat enough to sustain life, but not enough to make
me feel like she had a cushion against the rough ills life would throw at her. As an infant she wouldn't nurse. The hard-sucking payoff wasn't enough. These days we still goad her to eat, her ribs visible beneath her thin t-shirt. It's funny how that early personality tends to stick.

My little Monkey has morphed into a trooper. She's my good sleeper, my great student, and my devil with a heart. She was the one that broke me out of my selfish existence, and continues to be the child that challenges me every waking moment. Tonight after I wished her a final "happy birthday" and closed her door, she yelled for me. I opened her door and asked what she wanted. I expected to hear "Tell daddy I love him" or "Can I sleep with Bernice?". But tonight she wanted me. "Mommy, give me another kiss." Another kiss. Of course my love. The best present you could ever give this mother on your birthday.

I love you, Maggie.

4 comments:

Joelle said...

That was so touching, Toni. I am glad she liked her things and had a good day.

Hugs from us, Joelle and the gang

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, sometimes they can be sweet our girls, we take what we can get when we can get it, i guess. I'm sorry i missed calling her yesterday, i had it on my calendar and everything, i'd like to come by this weekend to give her her gift, let me know when it's good for you guys, love you all, aunt julie

Anonymous said...

You should go back and look at the comments that I've finally gotten around to posting- Oh and "exofuckulent" was my invented word I believe it came from biting into a really exofuckulent burger.

La Rivera said...

OH you totally made me cry with this one. So sweet!