Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Favorite Books

Taking a cue from my blog friends (Jennifer and LizAnne) and The Week magazine, I'm listing my 5 favorite books. All are non-fiction except White Oleander.


Neither Here Nor There: Travels In Europe- Bill Bryson. Bryson is a fantastic travel writer. He approaches every destination with wit, wonder, and the self-depreciation a chubby 50-something man with a sense of humor should have.

Sick Girl- Amy Silverstein. Silverstein underwent a heart transplant at the tender age of 25. Seventeen years later, she recounts every horrifying detail of why the transplant is just the beginning of the fight to live with another heart in your body. A great voice.

The Glass Castle- Jeannete Walls. You'll think you're childhood was closer to crystal goblets than welfare after reading this non-fiction tome about Walls difficult journey from a poverty-stricken childhood to a successful adult.

Do It! Let's Get Off Our But's (The Life 101 Series) - Peter McWilliams. I was 20 and looking for direction when I stumbled upon this book. It provided me with the courage to leave Arizona and study abroad. Every page has an inspiring quote - "If you want a place in the sun, you must leave the shade of the family tree". I cut out all the quotes and still refer to them now, 16 years later.

White Oleander - Janet Fitch. Beautifully written , but shoddily produced into a movie. The book follows a foster child as she moves in and out of different homes. Harrowing, scary and hopeful.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I haven't read any of these, I am ashamed to say. But you've made me want to check them out!