Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 109

A rehash of a letter sent out today. We are tired, fat (pizza, Chinese, too many beers) and emotionally spent. Tim leaves tomorrow. I will miss my brother. He is a good person who sees the good in everyone (unlike his caustic, suspecting sister.) On to a new week. Oh yeah, tomorrow is my anniversary. Happy 11, honey. NIght all. More later....




HI All,

Here we are on Friday night, and it's been about 28 hours since Norm came out of surgery. As a refresher, a mass was seen on Norm's last MRI, which was taken as a follow-up after a bout of pancreatitis. During yesterday's seven-and-a-half hour procedure, he had 1/2 the pancreas, 1/3 his stomach, part of the small intestine, and all of his gallbladder removed.

Tim, Mary, and I were allowed to see him four hours after he woke up from the sedation. The nurses thought he was still feeling the effects of the anaesthesia, but we know Norm better than that; that's just how he always is. When a tech told him he wanted to test his blood sugar, Norm said, "He called me 'sugar'." Then, when the nurse advised him to push a button on a cord for morphine, he pushed the bandaid on his nose repeatedly. His spirits were amazing.

Today, they had him sitting in a chair. He attempted a walk, but grew too excited and tired after standing for ten minutes while his forty-billion wires were being made mobile. My mom and Tim are visiting him now, and I will give you a further update tomorrow. On Monday, the pathology will be back from the surgery. The results of that will determine what the next course of action will be.

Please continue to send good thoughts and prayers to my dad, and my mom. Their strength and humor during this time is admirable. It was fantastic having Tim out; he provided support and laughs despite how fragile and rotten we all felt.

We thank you for all the calls and emails. We are lucky to count all of you as our friends.

Toni

3 comments:

toni said...

Good Sunday Morning and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wonderful and sweet daughter. Do you know how lucky I am to have this person in my life. She calls me to dinner every night that her dad is in the hospital. Nothing is to difficult for her. She sits with her dad when I am just exausted and just need to sleep. I know this too shall pass,and we will laugh and be crazy again. Yesterday was a bad day. Onward!!!

toni said...

Happy Sunday Morning and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my most wonderful daughter. Who I could not do this without her. Do you know how lucky I am to have her and her sister in my corner. She is the one who puts extra waster in the soup so I can dine with them every night. She is the one who makes me go home to sleep and sits with her dad so he can see family nearby. yesterday was a bad day. Dear God make today better. Mom

Happy Me said...

Toni, I hope that things are going well with your Dad and that he's back to normal and out of the hospital soon.

I'm praying for you and your family during!