Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This horrible, heinous, awful, painful grief . OR , ('I want You Back' my Micael Jackson song)

The last two weeks have followed the same pattern. I suppose it's the new normal. I wake up with a tugging in my chest. I shuffle, semi-paralyzed, to the shower, and splash awake with the water. I make breakfast, tend the children and offer Scot my best smile. The rest of the day continues in a similar manner. I can laugh, but am quicker to cry. I was unpacking groceries today and noticed a fresh, unopened bag of peanuts in the pantry. I thought of Norm, and the silly fact that peanuts were his favorite food. I tossed the nuts into the corner, cursing the surgeon that butchered my father.

Grief is not linear. Just when you think you've moved into another stage, you circle around for another pass. What breaks it up is a little levity and humor. I picked up Norm's ashes this morning, with four children in tow. After buckling in the kids, I did the same to Norm, seated in the passenger seat. I told him to hang on, and peeled out of the parking lot. I'd like to think he would have liked it. If Norm was here, he would only want these mopey shenanigans to go on for so long.

Here's hoping the days to come have more humor, and less tears.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

There will be more humor and less tears...I promise. Norm giggled in heaven when you strapped him in, I'm sure.

Happy Me said...

I'm sure Norm was with you and laughed when you strapped him in. Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled upon your blog because we share a name. I was playing with alliteration and googling combinations and see that you made it here first!

Your posts reeled me in and I started to review the archives and came to this section. I just want to say I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm in a similar place right now... I guess we don't just share a name. My dad first got sick a year ago this month. That was 6 surgeries and 23 hospitalizations ago. My whole life has turned upside down.

Started with gall bladder and then a mass on his pancreas 6 times the size of his pancreas and then intestinal rupture, etc, etc, etc I connected most with the line you wrote about preparing for so long... but still feeling so much grief. I'm in that space too.

So, I guess I just wanted to send anonymous prayers and wishes. I appreciate you sharing your dad's story with the world. He sounds like he created a wonderful legacy.

Be well and I'm sorry for your loss.