Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back in the saddle

I have recurring dreams, quite often. One is that I'm late to my own wedding. I can't find my shoes, and someone is applying sky-blue eye shadow to my lids. The other common anxiety dream is that I'm in College Algebra. Again. Because in real life, the first three times I took College Algebra I fell into Dante's rings of hell. I was scarred and burned. I Failed. Eventually, I did what every mathaphobe does. I selected a major where I could take College Math instead. Breezed through that with a D, and graduated.

I'm doing the previously unthinkable, and thinking of going back to school. In the allied health care field. Where there is some amount of math involved. The nightmares are returning. I've narrowed it down to Dental Hygenist, and Respiratory Therapist. I've weighed the amount of schooling, prerequisites, and general potential disdain I will harbor for my choice, after I choose said career path.

It's come down to this: Hygenists make more money, but breathe a stream of constant bad breath and work for cranky, suicidal dentists. On the positive side, I like helping people, especially ones who are in a prone position with no ability to yell because my hands are in their mouth.

Respiratory therapy is near and dear to me, as Nora has asthma and my father suffered from IPF. The downside to that field is old people hocking sputum, and the constant threat of airborne H1N1. On the bright side, the only math required is Intermediate Algebra. I had that. 3 times. That might make my choice right there.

Joking aside, I have felt a calling to get involved with health care. I appreciated all the sweet souls who took care of my father, and saw myself in their shoes. The lure of a secure, vocational job with a name tag has a great deal of appeal, too. I am leaning in the aforementioned direction, but am open to suggestions. Just please remember the little problem I have with advanced math.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Happy Me said...

Go for it! Try to put aside your mathaphobia (I know it's hard, I'm one too). Pray for a good teacher -- it makes a HUGE difference! I had the worst teacher in high school, but when I got to college (nights) and had to take it algebra as a prerequisite to statistics I had a fantastic teacher who actually got through my phobia and explained it logically so that I could actually understand and I passed with flying colors! You can too :-)

Jennifer said...

I think you'd be wonderful in the healthcare field. You are a loving and patient soul and because of what you recently went through with your dad, you know how much a good healthcare worker can mean to a patient and a family.

La Rivera said...

You will have plenty of time to practice math when you're counting your money :D Good for you!