Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single phone call - Confucius Bell

In 1992, I was having a fifth-of-my-life crisis. Should I choose to be young, semi literate, and married, or do something risky, life altering, and potentially awesome? The answer seems easy now, but I was a frightened girl of 20 at the time.

After consulting several self-help books, I got up the nerve to take a risk. I dumped the boyfriend and spent 4 months in London. It changed me forever.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across hand written quotes on my "Toni Helber" stationery. That list was tucked into a corner of my dresser mirror for months , many years ago. I kept it, because I still find the literary morsels on risk to be inspiring.

Here it is:

Don't play for safety-it's the most dangerous thing in the world. - Hugh Walpole



Try everything once except for incest and folk dancing. - Sir Thomas Beecham



You can't build a reputation on what you're GOING to do. - Henry Ford



Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison



I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean. - G.K. Chesterton



Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs build the ark; professions built the Titanic. - author unknown



One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. -André Gide



Every man has the right to risk his own life in order to preserve it. Has it ever been said that a man who throws himself out the window to escape from a fire is guilty of suicide? -Jean-Jacques Rousseau


On Tuesday, I registered for Bio 160- Human Anatomy. I'm scared, but thrilled. I am beginning a new era of my life.

Not only did I want to share these favorite quotes with you today, but I also wanted them as close as my laptop. Just in case I need them.

1 comment:

Happy Me said...

Great quotes, and WOO HOO for you! :-)