Sunday, February 28, 2010

neti pot- a cornucopia of fun- for your nose!!!


When I had my tonsils out two years ago, I thought that would be it. And the thing is, I have been pretty healthy. But my body's new thing are annoying sinus infections. And the fuckers are debilitating. When the children shout and yell you want to crawl onto the floor and put a pillow over your head. Bending over induces throbbing pain. And you can't sleep because just when you drift off, both nostrils fill up with mucus and you can't breathe. And breathing through your mouth dries out your throat, making it sore.

Bet you can tell I've been one cranky, crazy-ass bitch to live with. Yes, I've had moments of embellishment in my life as a patient, but this isn't one of them.

"Welcome to my world!" an allergy-prone Scot chimed in on Wednesday night.

But no, I wanted him to know my pain and aggravation was much worse than his. The following statement came hot on the heels of reading Brittany Murphy's cause of death from anemia and pneumonia.

"Just so you know, I've warned you. In case I don't wake up or something."

A little drama never hurt anyone. Maybe I'd get his attention. Or sympathy. He laughed. He also didn't intervene when I made homemade mashers with 102- degree swine flu fever. Men will let you do as much as you're willing to do, I've learned.

However, Scot did clear out of here with the kids yesterday. I took to the couch with Patrick, and listened to mens' snowboarding downhill. I looked like Farrah Fawcett when she made The Burning Bed. My face was swollen from fluid, and huge bags had formed under my eyes. I couldn't muster the strength for laundry. Oh wait.. I never feel that good. Dinner was leftovers and extra desserts for the children. Anything to keep the volume down.

Today, the antibiotic kicked in. I feel the best I've felt in over a week. I made lunch for the kids and hauled our asses to the supermarket. I feel accomplished.

And I bought a neti pot. My sister swears by the little teapot you run through your sinuses. And I'm sick of treating my whole body with meds when all I have is goopy fungus in my nose.

Anybody had an success with a neti pot? Cause to be honest, I'm a little scared. I hate sticking crap up my nose. Never have understand how people could snort stuff.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Diane used it and said it was awesome. Just for the record, I have never been able to breathe through my nose in my entire life.

Happy Me said...

Toni, I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so bad! Sinus infections are the worst!! I think I'd rather deal with pain of childbirth than get another sinus infection!

A few ladies I work with use the neti pots and swear by them...never tried one myself...for the same reason you're hesitating now!

La Rivera said...

Yes, definite success. It really helps clear everything out and also helps reduce post-nasal drip.

The first time I did a sinus rinse was about three years ago when I had an infection. It was so fascinating how much congealed snot came out, and how much better I felt, with no medication.