Sunday, July 13, 2008

Grains of Paradise- An African Spice that's so very nice!

These look like something that would come from Africa. Perhaps in the jungle, from the rear of an elephant. But to season food with these putrid looking nuggets?

Yes, you must. Trust me on this. After all, I am the Condiment Queen. I have earned that title from MANY friends and family members. If I can't season it, shake it, pour it, dip it, coat it, or glaze it, it's bland. I buy every salt, spice, and seasoning that hits the shelves, and I'm hear to tell you that this pepper alternative is a new favorite.

I ran across Grains of Paradise in a book I read last summer, "Cooking for Mr. Latte" by Amanda Hesser. Ms. Hesser gushes about the spice. What is it? Grains of Paradise are harvested in Africa, and have a nutty, spicy bite, most compared to black pepper. But they also share the same essential oils contained in cardamom and coriander. To smell it is to take an olfactory trip. There is a muskiness reminiscent of after shave, and a bitterness you find in many Indian dishes. It is pepper that has been on a journey. I've been putting it on everything from mac-n-cheese to Korma Pulau.

Now, you're probably wondering why the heck it took me so long to share this marvel. After all, if I read about it last year, what's the delay? Well, good luck finding it. I believe you can find it online, but I need a sorry excuse to haunt all my favorite food stores. At the seventh fancy market (Whole Foods), I found the coveted spice. It cost $6.99 for 2 1/2 ounces. Or $26, with all the gas I burned to find the stuff.

Try it, you'll like it.

No comments: