Saturday, July 12, 2008

I wonder where they heard that?!

When Maggie was about 2 1/2, she was pulling on a jacket and had a difficult time getting the cuff past the watch she was wearing. "Damn it!" she uttered. I looked at her and had to contain my laughter. Never one to watch the mouth, I have too many curse words I adore to pick just one as my favorite. I love to curse. It's empowering, it feels good, and I don't get the same gratification by saying "oh phooey!" "Asshole" is my favorite when driving, and the expletive I say the most, so it should come as no surprise when Maggie called her sister an "asshole" yesterday. I suppose I should be more upset, but I'm not. The words that bother me are "stupid", "dumb", "idiot", and "God". Those words hurt and are dismissive. She'll deny it, but I get my trash mouth from my mother. "Bastard" flew around my house once when I was little, and I hurled it at my teenage brother soon after I heard it. My butt was raw from that one. My kids hear a steady stream of love at out house, so I don't think I'm screwing them up too much with the cussing. If anything, they seem to be picking up on the good words as well. The other day when I asked Nora where she came from she replied, "the clearance rack."

No comments: