Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 11- Funny Valentine

I just read my friend Jen's blog. She's pissed at Saint Valentine. My heart goes out to her and all the lonely folks as Valentine's Day nears. But don't despair. We are all in this together. V-Day is a long-suffering, Hallmark- induced holiday that makes single people painfully aware of their circumstance. And for married women whose husbands couldn't give a rat's ass, it goes by without mention. Back when I was flying solo, I believe I spent one Valentines Day with a romantic boyfriend. Even then, I don't remember what, if anything, I got.

Scot is up to his ears in grad school classes. He's working two jobs, and every day when he comes home he tells he that he" survived" another day. Valentine's Day is approaching and I'm not expecting a thing. Maybe a card. Eight years ago, I received some diamond earrings on February 17th. And that's just because they were a late Christmas present. Scot doesn't believe in giving and getting on the majorly marketed holiday of Valentines Day. Instead, I get things on Mother's Day (one year I got a phone, on another year, a vacuum.) Yes, I'm serious. The romantic things happen on Flag Day and on a Friday afternoon in the middle of August. That's when I get a poem written for me (it's happened twice!) or flowers brought home (from Costco- they're cheaper.) So, all of you that wish you were getting a heart-shaped diamond, nah you don't. It's cheesy. Just like Valentines Day. Love is best expressed all the year through. Like when your beloved cleans up your Cinco de Mayo vomit.

3 comments:

The Craft Family said...

I love the part about the vomit. Isn't that the true test of love. While Jeff and I were watching a cheesy jewelry commercial last night, he turned to me and said, "you are getting none of that - let me get it out of the way now - Happy Valentine's Day" Talk about romance. Just for that I am going to eat the box of chocolates I bought him.

Jennifer said...

I don't really need the diamonds, candy or flowers...it would just be nice for someone to have space in his heart to love me. Oh, Valentine's Day...you're a stinker!

La Rivera said...

This is the first Valentine's Day in 10 years that I've gotten flowers from Frank. Once, he brought me two dozen roses at work. The previous night, we had been at his aunt's house celebrating Peruvian Independence Day (which is at the end of July). He drank way too much, ate some cow's heart on a stick, and projectile barfed all over the interior of my brand new car. The roses were sweet, but I would have preferred a nice can of Ozium to break down the stench.