Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 15- Now That I'm Bigger

When I was young, I made a mental note of all the consumer goods I would have in my house when I grew up. These were items that my mother either kept on hand in spades, or things I deemed important, but went without. This topic came to my attention lately when my kids got a hold of my pogo stick.

For years, I wanted a pogo stick. I remember asking for one every Christmas year after year (that and stilts) and never receiving it on Christmas morning. For all I know my parents couldn't find a damn pogo stick, or realized my athletic potential capped out at walking. That was probably it- they knew a pogo stick would lead to a cast and other medical expenses.

I finally got the pogo stick. At age 22. A friend of mine bought it for me after hearing my pathetic tale of unfulfilled longing. I learned how to jump, and still take it out for the occasional ride. Heck, I have lugged the thing around for three moves. On Friday night, my kids found it in the garage, and took to it in a big way. Maggie is currently trying to master it in the driveway.

In addition to the pogo stick, there were other must have "necessities" I knew I would want as an adult. I either knew their value from having them, or from not having them. The following is the list.

Batteries- We have a battery cabinet. Scot and I buy them in bulk at Costco. Growing up, we had a battery bag. Some were used, some were new. There was never a guarantee you'd get to play with your Christmas loot until you made a battery run.

Chocolate Chips- My mother always kept chocolate chips in the house. Always. In the freezer. I have kept up the tradition.

Ice Cream- Never had it. Today, I get nervous if we are down to 4 1/2 gallons.

Paper Towels- You laugh. Last summer I scoured my sister-in-laws house for roll of paper towels. She uses rags. How do people clean like that? My mother, the original consumer, used paper towels to staunch blood and decorate. As do I. Scot says Al Gore would squirm if he knew how much I use.

Sushi - I never had sushi till I met Scot. My parents thought it was too expensive. But that's how Scot and I fell in love. Our marriage would not be the same without it. It is expensive. But it's worth it.

Good Coffee- I grew up with instant. For years, I never understood why people loved the drink so much. I never had a cup of regular coffee till I was in college. Now, I brew coffee every day. Nothing fancy, just fresh.

Good Beer- Old Milwaukee was what was on hand as a college kid at home. I couldn't stand its metallic taste in the can. Life is too short for bad beer. Now, it's anything different or unexpected. Cranberries in beer? Sure, let me try it.

Magazines- My parents always had magazines lying around the house. To this day, I love to visit them and read all the travel and news periodicals, along with Vogue and Glamour. We subscribe to The Week, and someday I would love to have time to read more glossies.

If Scot were writing this, he would put "cookies" on the top of the list. He never had them growing up, and he is anxiously awaiting the Girl Scouts Thin Mint delivery this month. It's an interesting exercise. Why we hold such small things to be important to our everyday happiness, and how what we had and didn't have as a child help to determine what we value as an adult. I'll never understand the lure the pogo stick held for me for all those years. I'm just glad it fulfilled the original desire, and that it will be around for my children.

3 comments:

Joelle said...

I never knew you wanted a pogo stick. When I think of Mary's house, I totally think of the chocolate chips in the freezer and the fabulous collection of magazines.

Jennifer said...

The Barbie Dream House was my pogo stick! Oddly, I think you had the Dream House and believe it or not, I had a pogo stick!

Anonymous said...

I need to buy me some chocolate chips.. they went away when we started buying the dough. I miss them, and how creative we could get with those!