Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 27 - She's got a Beaver

In my house, you don't have a fever. You've got a beaver. Make that a Double-Beaver all around. Or at least for 3 out of the 4 of us. So sometimes, even men around these parts can claim they've got a beaver.

Here's how it came to be that way. Years ago, probably 20, my mom watched a little girl named Casey. Casey got sick one day, and sprouted a fever. My mom comforted the child, and said something to the effect of, "Awwww, poor thing, you have a fever."

Only when Casey got home, she repeated this:

"Mary said I have a beaver."

Hmm....
To which Casey's mother said, " Mary said what? "

Of course it all came out in the wash, and made for a funny story, and now we call a temp a "beaver."

Maggie is on day 4 of a beaver. I'm sincerely hoping the antibiotics kick in real soon before I blow a gasket from cabin fever. We went to pick up a pizza at the local strip mall tonight and I felt like an Afghan refugee in the U.S. The smells, the sights! The stores! Nobilo is helping to lighten the mood around here. Best of all, Scot will be home tomorrow. First Saturday home since Christmas!

2 comments:

Joelle said...

3 out of 4....who has fevers other than Maggie?

toni said...

oh, guess I didn't write that correctly. No, I meant 3 out of4 had "beavers" but only 1 has a double beaver. We are all fine.