Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 34 - Spring Fever

Everyone was out sick this week. While it makes for less money, it has freed up time to take walks and hit the treadmill. On wednesday morning, Nora and 16-month old Maddie followed me around while I picked up dog poop, and dragged the trash can to the curb. Scot had left his bike in the driveway, with the trailer still attached. On a whim, I put the two kids in, and rode to the mailbox. And I kept riding.

The temp had to have been 75, and a light breeze was blowing. I sat high and comfy on the cruiser seat. When the air brushed over my skin, it had the same feeling of jumping into a pool on a sweltering day. It felt downright refreshing. The orange trees have just started to blossom, and I swear they are laced with LSD. I'm not sure why that smell is so intoxicating, but to smell it is to be happy. I rode in lazy circles, head in the clouds. I crossed Mountain View road, and checked out nearby neighborhoods. Usually when I ride, I'm riding for speed and a workout, but this was a cruise. Birds were all partaking in the day, creating a cacophony of music from the high trees. I cut down to the greenbelt and passed old ladies and small dogs. I had become oblivious of the kids, and suddenly remembered I wasn't alone on my sensory feast. As I turned for home, Nora begged me to keep biking. Strange request from the child that's always bored and looking for the next adventure. She must have been feeling the magic of the day, too.

No comments: