Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 42- Cruisin'

The cruise was fantastic. Simply simpatico. There were 12 of us. My family, my mom and dad, my sister Julie and her three kids (her hubby had to work) and my brother Tim and his wife.

Every day played out the same. When we had days at sea, we cornered a dozen deck chairs by the pool and used it as our home base. Some people read, others exercised, and all of us went on food runs. Too many food runs. We took cabs to the ocean in port, and walked to local supermarkets for cerveza that washed down the fish we ate on the beach.

We really lived it up at night, when we met up for dinner at 8:15 p.m. in the ship's dining room. By that time of day, we had all had our fill of sun, beer and wine, and our happy state contributed to the lax dining environment. What that translates into are absolutely atrocious table manners. I cannot even recall how many items were hurled, tossed, or rolled across our gigantic table. One evening my brother flung some mysterious looking beet matter at my mother with a fork. All so that she could figure out what the heck the stuff was.

The only ugly moment I can remember is when my brother told our short mom she looked like our old, dead aunt falling over in her dining chair. Don't tell Mary she looks old. Ever. Or you will pay. For days.

We had fun. So much fun. And I hope all 12 of us can do it again soon.
Thanks mom and dad.

No comments: