Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 42 - We Can Breathe Again

Poster Boy for Pancreatitis has been released from the hospital.

AMEN!!!! Glory Glory!

After a grueling 20-hour turnaround on the MRI results, my dad was given the all-clear. For now. His film gave evidence of inflammation, so he must retest in 3 weeks, but the doctors did not believe it was cancer.

Which is a darn good thing. At nine-o-clock this morning my mother had him dead, in the ground, and she instantly became a grieving widow with "no joy in her life." Those exact words. Dying is a heart-breaking bitch, so I'm glad we don't have to go through the exercise yet. Joking aside, it was a damn scary agonizing wait and I'm sorry it aged my mother 10 years in one day.

My father is a wonderful man and to have him taken from us right now would lend credence to the saying "only the good die young." He is magnificently smart and kind. The man has had enough health problems in the last 11 years. To spare him any other maladies (isn't pulmonary fibrosis enough?) is the right thing to do.

"Leave him alone," my mom said. "Leave him alone."

Amen.

No comments: