Sunday, September 7, 2008

Weekend in Flagstaff

Our tenth-anniversary weekend in Flagstaff (not in St. John or Mexico mind you , and 3 months past due) has come to an end. Scot's brother Cory was gracious enough to let us stay at his vacation cabin. The cabin is new, so Cory has furnished it with the bare minimum. No TV. I was horrified to know there would be no MSNBC piping into my brain all day. I shouldn't have worried.








On Saturday we picked up Christian (who attends NAU) and headed up Snowbowl Ski Resort's chair lift. Mt. Humpries is Arizona's highest mountain at an evevation of 12.500 feet. After an hour of having Scot scare us with "what if" chair catastrophe scenarios, the three of us hiked around the mountain's disc-golf course. Christian and Scot played, while I slowly followed behind. Scot kept asking me if I was okay, and if I wanted to go. I guess the dumb - stupor look on my face worried him. In reality, I was completely transfixed by the beautiful day. The air was the clearest I had seen it in weeks, I heard the wind whiz under a bird's wing, and for the first time in ages, I had nowhere I had to be. We ended the perfect day by taking Christian back to his apartment and enjoying a sushi dinner.


Today I realized that it wouldn't have mattered where we had gone for this trip. We had stars, a change of scenery, and good conversation. We got to finish sentences and share thoughts that normally get interrupted by children or life. I didn't even miss the TV (much). We had a great time being together, alone. Very reassuring things to know when you celebrate your 10th anniversary.






2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Keep focusing on the good.

Anonymous said...

I remember well, our 10th anniversary spent in your ol'stomping ground, S.F. But you're right, it matters not where you go as long as you go somewhere,and we've had plenty of camping anniversaries and they're just as nice as the fly away somewhere trips. Looks like it was heavenly!