Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 66 - There is Love

Wedding on the greenbelt today. From this distance we spotted a clergy-type person, and heard champagne corks popping, and thunderous clapping. Except my neighbor and I could not spot a bride. We saw two men, dressed in long tunic shirts, embracing. Still no bride. So, let's scrap the part of this old standard that doesn't apply:

"A man shall leave his mother, and a woman leave her home "

While I'm at it, I'd like bring the bring this song into the millennium, and cut out the homage to the man crap. At my own wedding I would not promise to "obey" my man.

" As it was in the beginning, is now and til the end, woman draws her life from man, and gives it back again.


So I defer to these lines, the beautiful, non-discriminatory, all-loving lyrics to tell the story for the wedding I saw today;

"For Whenever two or more of you are gathered in His Name, there is Love.There is love."

Is it love that brings you here, or love that brings you life?
For if loving is the answer then whose the giving for?
Do you believe in something that you've never seen before?
Oh there's love, there is love."


There Is Love (Wedding Song) , Lyrics by Noel Paul Stookey, 1971.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I would never speak the words "obey" in a wedding ceremony either. I'd rather die a spinster.

Unknown said...

I love the words in the old Michael Martin Murphey country song (can't remember the name but the verse went: "If love doesn't last forever, what's forever for?"