Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 77 - So Alive

The next five weeks will be a blur. Which is a shame, because there is an abundance of happy good fun to be had. I would like to SLOOOOOOW it all down. We will have Nora's birthday, her party, Scot's graduation (with two ceremonies), the end of the school year for the kids, and our departure for Michigan. All by May 30th.

Nora will be five on Monday. To be honest, the time hasn't gone all that fast. She was one hell of a kick in the pants the first three years; she seriously sped up the aging clock for me. We went through non-stop crying for a year and asthma for two years. If I had a dime for every time the kid covered me in coughing vomit I'd have quit daycare a long time ago. Now, she is a delight. Sweet, funny, and kind. I couldn't ask for a better kid. She is getting Rollerblades and new earrings on her big day. She told me recently that she's "done" with princesses. As much as I despise the sexist Disney vehicle, I felt a pang of sadness. End of another era.

In four weeks I will join my mom and dad at the lake in Michigan. It IS summer to me. The cottage is across the lake from my brother and uncles houses. The seasonal smell of wet grass and boat fuel fill the air. A winter of snow and rain has finally quit, to let delicate tulips burst forth from the Earth. The ice cream truck comes on Mondays and Fridays, and I fish with my father on Monday and Wednesday nights. My mom, the kids and I will hit downtown Rockford and grab an ice cream cone. When I crawl into bed at night, I always glance out the window above my bed. There I can see the moon casting its light on the glassy water below. Always a final daily reminder that I am at the lake.

My song for the day pretty much sums up for I feel. "So Alive," by Love and Rockets. Another favorite.

No comments: