Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 101 - Catch up

Did ya miss me, didja?

I had a friend call today, wondering if I was dead on the floor. Since I hadn't posted in two days, the natural thought was that I must have perished. And here I was, simply giving you all a break.

First of all, I'd like to extend some kudos to Darcy, the Tenacious Blogger, on her post today. Brilliantly put and felt Darcy. I see my future in your postings, and I am petrified/scared/hopeful of the teen years with my kids. Once they sow their oats, your kids will be back to spend time with you. It appears you've done a good job. I tried posting all of this in your comments, but I cannot get anything published on there.

The "staycation" was nice. I clocked it. We were three miles from the house. Staying in an ice box of a hotel room, with slick Frette linens and piped-in hotel smell. Delicious. I could stay in a Motel 6 and be giddy. Scot, the girls, and my mom and dad and I sat by the pool, maxing out on sesame crackers topped with dilled Havarti and horseradish cheddar. All washed down by plenty of beer.

Norm's surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, June 4th. I detest that such a thing is happening in my birthday month. It is my mom and brother's birthday month as well. Bad things should only occur in January and February, when you expect snow, rain, and shit, and don't mind heaping on more for good measure. June is for vacations, ice cream and weddings. Damn you, pancreas, and your timing.

My brother Tim will be coming out on Wednesday. My dad and brother are very close, and that is a delightful thing to see for a step-parent/child relationship. I adore my brother, and am so glad he will be staying with my mom for a couple of days. I only hope we can laugh the entire visit.

Dirty Sanchez (Patrick) eats toenail clippings. It's true. I'll try to get it on film. Ours is an unconditional love as I still picked him up and gave him kisses after witnessing the event.

Nora got stung by a bee today, and I thought we were going to need a paper bag to keep her conscious. Not for any allergic reaction, just for the sheer drama of the event. She's fine.

Scot and I found ourselves watching a tribute to George Strait tonight. We're not big country fans, but we'll watch Jai alai if it looks good on HD. After many celebrity dedications, Martina McBride belted out a Garth Brooks classic, The Dance. It never fails to make me ponder every single opportunity I've ever had; those taken, and those wasted. Fantastic song. I will leave you now, with the lyrics. See you tomorrow night.

Garth Brooks - The Dance

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance
Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance
Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

2 comments:

Liz Anne said...

Welcome Back! As a daily reader of your Tales I have to say I missed you. Your staycation sounds wonderful.

Happy Me said...

Toni - I'm honored to have been mentioned in your blog -- I'm sorry for some reason mine is tempermentally not letting you leave comments!

Your staycation sounds like it was perfect! I could smell the "hotel smell" and was very envious when you proceeded on to the pool, crackers and beer!

I'm praying for the best for your dad and your family.

May you have many laughs with your family over the coming weeks!