Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 87 - Mother's Day

Last week my mother informed me that "women rule the world." I'm still puzzled why it took her 67 years to say that; mom, you've instilled that in me forever.

Our "family world leaders" went out to a Mother's Day dinner tonight. We did a repeat of last year, and met at Blue Adobe, a local New Mexican restaurant. There were 10 of us. Scot, me, the kids, my mom and dad, sister Julie and Steve, and two of their kids, Brian and Hailey. I gave my mom a cool shirt I found at Target, and some Mrs. Meyer's cleaning stuff. Hmm.... hope she didn't think that was akin to a husband being his new bride a blender. Didn't mean to insinuate anything there mom! My mom gave me and Julie wonderfully smelly candles. Can't wait to burn it tomorrow.

After seven years of being a mom, I am still not accustomed to being presented with Mother's Day items. There are times I feel like a kid myself, and I'll never get used to the idea that I spit something out of my uterus. But when the waiter presented me with a rose and a Mom's Day Creme Brulee, it took a minute to sink in that it was for me.

My mom is a fantastic mom- and she's had over 47 years experience getting the job down pat. She has endless patience and the most fantastic sense of humor. I know that when she's not laughing and is serious, I'd better listen. She has seen me through some seriously challenging times. I've had some trials with the kids, and lord knows I'll add to them in the coming years. Teen years- Yikes! This is a hard job, and I'm learning as I go. I just know I can't ever give up. EVER. I've got a great model, and the wisdom that comes with the gift of being a woman.

Happy Mother's Day mommas!

1 comment:

Happy Me said...

What a wonderful mother's day! I know what you mean, I still feel like a kid too and sometimes can't believe that my 20 & 16 year olds were once in my womb!